Yep – there’s a heat wave in Iowa. The “Boy” has been after the old man to go to an IDPA shoot with him – today was the day. (nearly 80 at 6 AM). Couple of hours of setup – 6 stages (nearly 85 by 7:30 AM). Range brief, broke us up into 2 groups. 9:30 AM range brief done, stages set, ready to rock (and we’re at 95).
Gotta admit the “Boy” kinda handed my butt to me – nice to see him do well! And, one more thing to note – very high heat can definitely effect my ability to shoot! Anyway, videos will be posted tomorrow so you can chuckle along with him. :)
So, as we go though this long, hot summer together – some thoughts:
- Drink lots of water – LOTS!!
- Sun screen.
- Loose clothing – shed your cover garment between shoots to keep cool
- Up your level of focus – high temps, tons of sweat, various levels of dehydration – all lower your ability to focus, compensate for it.
- Sweat towel – I’ve had one since the late 60s, they were almost an iconic part of the uniform of the Vietnam troop. Do they even do that any more?? Anyway, make a sweat towel part of your range bag, Boggie-Bag, back pack – you’ll come to love it.
- Enjoy the day – we had a great time – even with the heat. 18 shooters, good conversation, gentle ribbing, takin’ crap from the Boy – it was a good day!
- Did I mention drinking water??
Just as many folks won’t shoot in the dead of winter – many avoid the range in high heat/humidity as well. Again – bad guys are a 24/7 deal, year around. So – hit the range, find a shooting competition, make new friends and have fun!
UPDATE: Some updates – quit laughin ‘ at the fat, old guy in the beige boonie hat!! :)
Still a few more on the hand-held camera, will see if I can get them up tonight.