Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Training - Distance training . . .

 

Is your training becoming myopic? Are you running the same drills, using the same targets, engaging them the same way at the same distance? Yeah . . . . me too.

Since the focus of most my teaching is defensive pistol, that is where I spend most of my efforts – 7 yards or less, 10 yards thrown in for good measure. My drills do include draw from my IWB holster and always contain mag changes. Still, I don’t spend much time past 30 feet. The results could have been much better . . . heavy sigh.

clip_image002

I used my range bag gun – a Ruger .22/45 and my carry weapon, my Glock 17. Each engagement was 10 rounds. All were from 50 feet, aimed fire. For reference, the distance from the edge of the paper to the edge of the silhouette is approximately 6 inches. So, I could cop a plea that the .22 groups were 6 in groups . . . . but . . . . well, there ya go.

Shapes 1 – 5 were the results of my .22 cal engagements.

Shifting to the Glock, I ran three courses of fire, 10 rounds a piece – 70% on 6 and 7, 80% for head shots. One flyer – high and left.

For combat effect hits at 50 feet, 29 of the 30 rounds would have gotten the threat’s attention. Still, it’s obvious I need to balance a bit more distance shooting into my range trips.

Remember, if you are ever unfortunate enough to actually draw your weapon to defend yourself, your family or your friends, each and every round that leaves the muzzle belongs to you. Make damn sure you can hit what you shoot at.

Stretch your distances, cross the 10 yard line and work the 50ft and 75ft distance a bit more. Push yourself to gain confidence in your long range shooting.

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if we are helping or hurting ourselves with the way we 'train'... (I remember the conversation we had on that)... And you're right, 'stopping' at 7 yards is not good. Personally I think one needs to work out to 15-25 yards.

    ReplyDelete