Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Just A Little Braggin’ - 4.62 Baby!!!

 

The 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month our Ikes club shoot steel.  It’s a program I really pushed this year, convinced them to buy $3,500 worth of Action Target steel plate (8” and 8” x 10”  AR 550) and “give it a shot” – pardon my pun.  My first year as President, I suppose I was a bit pushy – color me shocked.

The long and the short of it is that we’ve paid off over 1/2 of the investment, have a group of about 18 shooters that show every time and we are slowly growing.  Not bad, I’ll take it.

We do not follow strict rules here – the plates are 8” not 12”, the shooter shoots a string at a stage, not 5 in a row - we only have space to set up two stages each time though - we do our best to not repeat them.  The whole point is to have fun, introduce a new sport, involve families - one of the fastest shooters is a HS Freshman this year and there’s a young lady that’s comin’ on strong – a 5th grader!  And to offer a little friendly competition to the club.

While most shooters will run the stages about 10 times, I have had a heck of a time getting more than 4 or 5 rounds in.  Since it’s “my baby” I feel compelled to do the hand shaking, welcome new shooters, keep an eye on things and time stages in between.  Honestly, it’s more important that the members and shooters have a good time than it is getting in trigger time.

But, I do get a few rounds in.  I have had a hell of a time dropping time though.  Minimum distance is 30 feet – max is about 65 or so.  A shooter can use any caliber handgun – I usually shoot a 9mm but last night I had one of my trusty Ruger 22/45s. 

And . . . . I had a simply beautiful, smooth and clean run. (4 whites and a red stop plate to a stage)  It just “felt” nice.

Result . . . . 4.62!  Best time of the year!!  Pretty happy with it.

Of course we have some much better shooters, one fellow has a 2.31 for the year so far – pretty fun to watch.

Still – I was pumped so when I got home I sent a text to “The Boy” – “4.62 Baby!!”

His reply??  “So, ur only a second behind”

Heavy sigh – little shit!!  Smile

Other than just a little braggin’ – just a friendly reminder to go play – find some type of competition – jump in – create it if need be – fun, friends, shooters, trigger time – what more could you ask for in an evening!!!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!

    And the "little sh$@" is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The Boy keeps me honest on the range, he is pretty darn quick. I'll get him one of these days! At least I keep telling myself that!! :)

    ReplyDelete