Saturday, January 23, 2016

Review – SNAGMAG


I expect I’m no different than other “gunnies” – I’m always looking for gear that works better.  And given the vast number of manufacturers making after-market equipment I am far from the only one out there searching for “stuff”.

One particular quest I have been on for some time is a magazine pouch.  Yeah . . . I know . . . such and so makes a great one!!!  Well chances are I’ve tried them.  I want to make one differentiation here – I’m not looking for one to take to coursework, I have a very nice OWB two mag carrier that works just fine.  What I have been searching for is one that work with my EDC spare magazine.

I thought I hand found “it” about a year and a half ago with the Galco IWB Leather Mag Carrier.  While it held my spare magazine securely, by the end of the day it was just plain uncomfortable.  So I went back to my default carry gear . . . my rear left pocket.  Honestly this works OK but the position of the magazine is a toss-up when you execute a mag change forcing me to reorient the magazine on the way to the mag-well.  Not ideal.  The other thing I noticed is that most pockets last about 6 months to a year before the magazine wears a hole in it . . . my wife has some fairly direct thoughts on that particular characteristic.

So, I keep looking.  Enter the “SNAGMAG”.

This is a simple kydex pouch designed to give the appearance of a knife that is clipped to your pocket.  It is designed to ride in my left front pocket but since that is where I carry my wallet and Surefire 6P Defender flashlight I moved it to my rear left pocket – my normal location to carry my spare magazine.









As you can see the design is very simple – an open sleeve that wraps the magazine holding it firmly in place.  A very beefy clip to hold the carrier in place with a back-plate that is tall enough to appear to be the side of a knife while reducing the visibility of your magazine.










They come in form factors to fit virtually any magazine – in my case is it a double-stack for my Glock 17 carry weapon.  Here you see how it appears on my body.

So, some thoughts . . .

The SNAGMAG does remain securely in place.  When I reach to reload my G17 I don’t have to dive into my pocket, figure out which way the magazine had turned and reorient it on the way to the mag-well.  It remains secure in the corner of the pocket and remains vertical throughout a day’s wear.

It releases the magazine easily.  It’s not a battle to withdraw the spare magazine.  And the carrier remains securely in the pocket.  It has an extended tab designed to catch on the inside of your pocket when carried in your front pants pocket.  While not being especially effective in the rear left pocket, the clip and the “grip” of the pocket is enough to keep things in place as I withdraw the new magazine.

While not inexpensive at $35, I don’t find the price out of line with similar products either.  My primary issue is “Does it work?”  In my case, after a couple months of daily carry I am willing to say “Yes, the product works as advertised!”  And, for me, it works in the real world as well.  You can find the SNAGMAG on Amazon at the link here.

So there you have it, a quick review of the SNAGMAG.  If you pocket carry a spare magazine and have been searching for something to make that a bit more secure and efficient that just chuckin’ the mag in your pocket – give the SNAGMAG a closer look, I think it may just “fit the bill” for you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, I've been looking for something to carry a spare mag in, when I have semi dress pants on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, I've been looking for something to carry a spare mag in, when I have semi dress pants on!

    ReplyDelete