It’s a powerful emotion that can allow a person to recall a single instant in time . . . It can turn them into a quivering mass of flesh . . . It can make them cower . . . It can “change their mind” . . . it can destroy a person. We all have such moments in our past. A few of mine would be . . .
- My very first homecoming dance with Susie and my mom saying something like . . . “Do you know what you’re doing??”
- My first rocket attack and the real realization that I was truly “in country”.
- Hearing the doctor say . . . “She has inoperable cancer; I’ll be back in a couple hours.” . . . as I slid to the floor along the wall of the waiting room.
- Hearing yet another doctor say . . . “Bill, the answer isn’t what we wanted – you have cancer!”
· A “get the jab or loose the job” atmosphere.
· Lockdowns that have destroyed whole segments of the economy.
· The idea of “vaccine passports”. Yellow stars anyone?
· A separation of our population in “vaxers” and “antivaxers”.
· Mandatory mask mandates with masks that make virtually no difference in our ability to inhale or pass on the virus.
· Losses of doctors, nurses, police officers, fire fighters, military members simply because they refuse to take the vaccine or because they will prescribe certain medicines. Numbers are running as high as 25%.
· The replacing of science with superstition. Viable medical mitigation is replaced by a single, solitary phrase . . . “Get the shot!”
· In some countries – Australia comes to mind – a true, fascist system of governance has emerged based solely around trying to “manage” covid that goes so far as to authorize police to shoot their citizens with rubber bullets should they be found outside their homes and mask-less.
What began as a “fear the virus” approach to controlling the populace has evolved into a “fear your government” movement. If you disobey your government will take away your job, confine you to your home and condemn you to a life of poverty. As Joe said . . . “We’ve been patient, now get the shot!” The “fear” that we responded to initially has been successfully transferred to our government bodies. And sadly, our society has been going along with this “we are the mighty and powerful OZ” routine of folks like Biden, DeBlasio, Cuomo, Witmer, Newsome, Inslee, Murphy, Pritzker . . . to name just a few, for nearly two years. These folks now decide if you work, when you work, where you work, where you eat . . . by simple fiat.
I’m hoping for the best.