Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Just the Basics – EDC Update 2017


If you have found a combination of gear that you are willing to carry on a daily basis you will notice that your EDC changes little over the years.  I’ve recorded 6 years’ worth of EDC gear on my blog.  Little has changed.  I’ve long since settled into a Glock 17 with a spare magazine.  With this update, I’ve moved from the Blackhawk leather IWB holster to a Blade-Tech Nano IWB.  I’ve updated my flashlight and phone but other than that the foundational equipment has not changed in 6 years.  I consider this a sign that I’ve gotten things “right” for me.  There was a signification addition this year – a blowout kit worn around my left ankle, details are below.  So, let’s take a closer look.





Carry Weapon:

My carry weapon is a Glock 17 carried in a Blade-Tech Nano IWB holster at the 4 o’clock. I also carry a spare magazine downloaded to 15 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense ammunition (I never load a magazine to full capacity – old habit). For cover garments, I typically wear an un-tucked polo shirt or Henley. Or, I wear a cover jacket or sport coat.

A word of caution – if you are reading this and are new to carrying your weapon on a daily basis . . . please, spend a significant amount of time using dry fire to practice your draw – extension – engagement of a threat. I’ve promoted the crap out of LaserLyte rounds or SIRT pistols for that purpose – use them. But your draw needs to be automatic, instinctive, smooth . . . and the only thing that will get you there is hundreds/thousands of draws. There is no shortcut.


Flashlight:


I’ve very recently upgraded to a SureFire G2X Series LED Flashlight with a Nitrolon body. It provides a unique way to hold it to facilitate it’s use with a handgun and the attached lanyard proved very useful during a recent carbine course during night fire.  It provides 320 lumens which easily light up a standard target out to 25 yards.  It’s powered by standard C123 batteries.


Defensive Knife:


My backup defensive knife remains the Kershaw Skyline Model 1760. It rides clipped in my right pocket each and every day. The blade is made of Sandvik 14C28N steel with a bead-blasted finish. The blade length is 3 1/8 inches in length with an overall knife length of 7 3/8 inches when the blade is fully opened. The handle is made of G10 with an overall knife weight of 2.3 oz. Its blade can hold a brilliantly sharp edge needing sharpening infrequently throughout a year’s use. A simple, sharp flick of the wrist quickly opens the blade for immediate use.

The Skyline fulfills the role of a secondary defensive tool. However, the ease of access finds me using if for everything from cutting an apple to opening letters and shipping boxes. It’s ability to be a useful addition to my E.D.C. and to hold a fine edge has been proven over the last five years in my pocket.

Tactical Pen:

A number of years ago I added a Tactical Pen to my EDC.  The Smith and Wesson M&P Tactical Pen.

Here are the basic specifications for the Smith & Wesson SWPENMPBK Military and Police Tactical Pen, Black.

  • 6.1 inches overall, weighs 1.4 ounces
  • Made of T6061 aircraft aluminum
  • Features a click on-off cap
  • Utilizes a Parker and Hauser ink cartridge (included)
  • Has a black finish

The pointed end of the pen body is NOT the writing end. The writing tip is housed under the cap on the blunt/flat end-cap.

I have a pretty high expectation about the performance of a writing instrument. For pens I expect the pen to feel good in my hand, I expect the ink to flow consistently and smoothly and the ball should glide across the paper, not have to be dragged across the paper. The M&P Tactical Pen exceeds all of my writing expectations.

My one bone to pick with them is the pen clip – a typical weakness for pens. As you can see in the image, the clip here is missing. It’s in my desk drawer and I suspect that’s where it will stay. Regardless of how I try to coat the screw threads that hold the clip onto the pen – after 2-3 months they are loose and need to be retightened. I finally missed a sequence and lost one of the screws. Rather than fight it, I simply removed the clip and I have the pen ride – point up – in my left front pocket next to my flashlight. That’s been an OK choice.

Tool Kit:

There’s tremendous value in having a small “tool kit” in your pocket.  Whether it’s as simple as tightening a screw, bending a bit of wire or even sawing a small branch – a small set of tools has proven invaluable in the 10-ish years I’ve carried this particular kit . . .– a Leatherman Juice CS4 .

It has a sturdy and well shaped blade with a broad spine that holds an edge through the worst abuse. It’s made of stainless steel with a blade length of 2.6 inches. Care is simple with periodic cleaning of the tool and sharpening of the blade, it has found a home in my pocket pouch for the past 10+ years.

The pouch is from a much larger Gerber multi-tool that now lives in the center counsel of my Jeep. You also notice a small Bic lighter and a striker fire tool in this photo. All of these items fine snugly in the pouch that rides in my right front pocket. I have a personal rule of always having three ways of starting a fire on your person each and every day. The Bic lighter and striker fire tool are two of these options (the third is a small Frenzel lens that lives in my wallet.

Watch:

I firmly believe watches should perform multiple functions. My watch of choice is the Casio Pathfinder 2000T.  Mine is going on 17 years old and still going strong.  However it seems to have been discontinued.  The closest brother I could find is the PAG 240T Pathfinder from Casio.  Obviously it tells time . . . using a solar powered system . . . and radio sync to the national time standard. Let’s just say it keeps good time! Since I spend time in the wilderness it has three additional functions that are a must, an altimeter that at least provides an indication of traveling up and down and is typically within 600ft., a barometer – worth its weight because it can inform you of changing weather patterns. It typically gives me about a 2-hour heads-up on arriving storm systems. And a compass that I simply hold to my chest, press a button and my heading is immediately shown for about 15 seconds. It has timers and alarms – none of which I seem to use. The watch’s primary purposes – time, barometric readings and direction make the Pathfinder an essential part of my EDC gear.

Wallet:

My wallet slides into my front left pocket along with my flashlight and the pen.  It has the usual items – some cash, credit cards, ID and my carry permit.  The front left pocket location makes it much less susceptible to the hands of a talented pick pocket.

Cell Phone:


My current phone is the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.  Today’s tech is truly amazing.  Being a fellow who started with a bag phone, to progress to the state of today’s handheld phone/computer/camera/GPS system has been a tremendous amount of fun.  From an EDC point of view the resources available from simple 911 calling to being able to photo document and video important events, have a GPS available at your finger tips as well as the knowledge base of – quite literally – the entire globe - today’s cell phone is an intricate part of any EDC loadout.


Blowout Kit:


If you look back over my past posts and updates of my EDC you will see little has changed – as it should be.  However, this year there was a significant addition – an EDC Blowout Kit.  I wear in around my left ankle using SFD Responder manufactured by SaferFasterDefense.  Please note that this is a CONTAINER ONLY, what you put into it is up to you.  Mine contains the following.


·        SOFTT-W Tourniquet in my kit made by Tac Med Solutions.

·        Tactical Trauma Dressing (Israeli Bandage, 4 Inch)

·        2ea pairs of NITRILE Gloves

·        Benchmade 8 Safety Cutter


This was a significant change in my EDC . . . so why?  Let me approach it in a different way, why do you carry?  If you are like me I believe it is within the realm of possibility that I could happen upon my worst day ever and have to engage in a gun fight to save my life, the life of someone in my family or someone in my charge.  Given that there is general agreement that gunfights with handguns are up close and personal . . . is it not also within the realm of possibility that such an even could leave me or a family member wounded?  So why carry a defensive handgun, go through all the coursework, train frequently on the range . . . and actually win your gunfight . . . only to bleed out on the street.  I found the additional weight to be un-noticeable.  The SFD Responder is comfortable and remains in place.  Yep, it took some getting used to but honestly after a couple months of effort I don’t even notice that I have it on.  I consider this very cheap insurance and would encourage you to consider adding it to your own EDC load out.


So there you have it . . . my EDC as of July 2017.  The review is as I expected, no real foundational changes, some upgrades to newer equipment and one significant change . . . the addition of a Blow Out Kit.  Just remember . . . this is an EDC loadout.  Your gun does you no good locked up home is your safe.  Your backup knives do you no good on the dresser at home.  And your blowout kit does you no good in your range bag.  EDC . . . Every Day Carry . . . means what it says.

Let me know what you think.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds good, but how am I supposed to pack all this stuff, when I'm in shorts and a T top because it's 114 out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice selection, and very complete. Sadly, not everyone can get away with that much stuff, especially in a coat and tie.

    ReplyDelete