Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Commentary–It was about something bigger . . . .

 

The 68th Anniversary of D-Day.  Try to wrap your head around that – so many years.  Folks my age were raised by parents who experienced WWII in a very personal way.  My Uncle Victor was a bomber pilot.  My Uncle Clemmy trained bomber pilots.  My dad, to old actually – built tanks for GM.  Their stories of the war years reminds me of stories of Vietnam.  But, under all the stories, under all the nights sleep never founds its mark, was the sure knowledge they played their part in something that was bigger . . .

It was bigger than the individual, bigger than the unit, bigger than the aircraft, bigger than the family . . . .

Around 140,000 men landed on December 6th, over 10,000 died.  Many never left the water.  More died on the beaches.  Still more died in the hedgerows.

For something bigger . . . .

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment